Saturday, October 28, 2017

A letter

Dear Future Husband,
I know that’s the beginning to a cheesy pop song, but it’s also who you are. We talked about transitions into marriage this week, and I thought about you.
At this point in time we haven’t yet met, but I wanted to share some of the thoughts that I’ve had about our life together. Family and a strong marriage is important to me. I want to do everything I possibly can to understand how to best sustain a healthy marriage and no surprise you’re going to be part of that.
I want you in my life. I want you to be my partner, my support, my lover, and friend. I want you to feel those same things from me. I’m a stranger now, but I hope we will never be strangers to each other again.
The big wedding, isn’t important to me. It’s about our marriage, and I think you understand that. Our closest family and friends will be there to support us, and we’ll celebrate because we found each other, and we’re going to take care of each other.
We knew what to expect going into marriage because of the way we dated. We planned different outings for each other and didn’t spend every other night on someone’s couch looking for something good to watch on T.V. We had fun dating, we loved talking to each other and we learned how to best communicate with each other during that time.
I have glimpses our first small apartment together. I would be sitting at our kitchen table after just putting all the groceries away in the fridge. You would come out of our bedroom and just start talking to me. I don’t know what you say or what that small apartment looks like but it makes my heart flutter to think that we are together, and we love each other.
We both understand that people make mistakes, we are forgiving, and we talk things through when we have a disagreement. We know that we meant for the marriage to last forever, so we are gentle and do our best to make it true.
One day we’ll start our family together, but we do it with an understanding of how we want to parent and we have hopes and dreams for our children.
My dear one, these are my dreams. I’ve had them since I was a little girl. You are important to me, and I know that you’re worth the wait.

Much Love,

Your Sophie

No comments:

Divorce

Growing up I didn’t personally know anyone who had been divorced. I had a few friends whose parents were divorced, but it wasn’t anything I...