Saturday, November 11, 2017

Stress doesn't have to become distressing

Stress verses distress. Stress can motivate individuals to keep moving forward, while distress can make us fall into pieces. It’s how we view the situation, and react to the negative things that happen to us that can help us to succeed or fail. A crisis, can bring a family closer together or tear it apart, it’s the family’s choice whether or not to make the situation into a stress or a distress.
Growing up, my best friend was my older sister just above me, M. M and I loved doing things together. We had our own club, the “fairy club”. We used to meet up at the hill from our house, there we would decide what nice things we would try to do for our family and neighbors. She’s a few years older than me, but she never made me feel insignificant or stupid just because I was her kid sister. She treated me as her equal and always helped me to see the best in myself.
As we grew up, M moved away to college, we still talked to each other and I would go out to visit her. My sister has always been good at putting her faith forward and making the best out of any situation, she did the same thing in college.
M had always wanted to serve a mission, and when she turned 21 she got her papers in and was soon called to serve in California. She got everything prepared to go, had her farewell and was soon off to the MTC. While in the MTC, M had a breakdown and was honorably released. It was devastating.
I still remember that day, it was one of the worst days of my life. I got home from school went upstairs to talk to my Mom and M was there. I was confused, I didn’t know that M had returned home, but something had changed her. She was lying next to my Mom; her face was pale and fear filled her eyes. She kept repeating the words, “I’m sorry.” Tears filled my eyes and fear gripped my throat, I backed out of the room, afraid to ask what was going on. It felt like my sister was lost, and I didn’t know what to do.
M was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. Our family gathered around her, the best we knew how, but I think we were all afraid for our M, and fear can make us do stupid things. Me especially. I started talking less and less with my sister. I didn’t know how I could help, and M was going through so much I felt like trying to understand things would just make it worse for her, so I backed away. I often look back now and wish I had done things differently. M remained strong, she was kind to each of us, and forgave our failings. I don’t know anyone who has more strength than my sister M.
With all that was happening to M, with all the changes she was experiencing, all the stress that had entered her life, she didn’t let it destroy her. She put her faith in God and kept moving. Her stress did not become distressing. M received help. She was able to get a job, do some school, date, all while figuring out her new life. She was and continues to be my hero, because of the way she looks at life.
M has since married a wonderful man, and soon they may be expecting a little one to join their family. It’s because of M’s faith and good attitude that her life is where it is now. She’s a hard-working, kind, thoughtful individual. I’m so blessed to have her in my life, and I’m grateful for everything she’s taught me.

Stress drastically changed my sister’s life. M is the amazing woman she is today because of the way she’s been able to embrace her challenges, they’ve shaped and molded her. I know she still has difficult days and sometimes gets really down on herself but she always gets back up and does the best she can with a positive attitude. I love my sister, and I wouldn’t change anything about her.

No comments:

Divorce

Growing up I didn’t personally know anyone who had been divorced. I had a few friends whose parents were divorced, but it wasn’t anything I...